Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Day--Indeed!






Since most people know I am a relatively (cough, cough) liberal democrat, it is no surprise that the politics of last night brought joy to my heart, HOPE, if you will. I thought Barack Obama's speech was inspirational and his election to President a truly historical event. For this night alone, I wish Joey had been 10 months older so he could have participated. Now, I have been around the block a few times and I know Presidents rarely keep promises they make during the campaign process. I like the fact that Obama has reminded us that it may take a little sacrifice (this is reality folks) and that he will need help (hello increased taxes) and he is not promising to fix this mess overnight. We all need a little dose of reality now and then. Now, I would like to be saying right now--okay, so we got some tax breaks over the past 8 years and now it is our turn to pay back--however, we DID NOT get any tax breaks over the past 8 years, we got SLAMMED! I can only hope that the increased taxes we will pay will improve the position of our country and the lives of Americans. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but I have HOPE.

I am not particularly fond of the political process, the slander--the millions of dollars spent to try and smear another American... I am not so fond of what most times seems to be a drive for power instead of a true desire to make America better. I am proud, however, that the majority of Americans decided to embrace something different this time around. I supported Obama from the beginning because I do believe he is different and not just because of the color of his skin. There is no perfect world, or perfect leader. There are no easy answers--but there is HOPE.

After the last two presidential elections I felt utterly depressed and I turned inward generally not wanting to discuss politics or the president or the horror that is our economy. Moving to Canada has been discussed quite a few times in our household (not too seriously, but it was discussed). The first time Bush was elected I was devastated. The second time I was disgusted. I am so happy to have HOPE back. Thank you Barack Obama for giving me some HOPE!

No comments: