Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cherry Tomatoes


We have so many cherry tomatoes we do not know what to do with them all. We love eating them fresh and in salads. Joey used some on a homemade focaccia bread last month. But we have at least three different varieties of these little guys and they do not seem to care that we have lost sunshine in Portland. We have harvested literally hundreds of cherry tomatoes. All the other larger tomato varieties are sitting there, green as can be. We may be making a lot of fried green tomato recipes here soon if the sun decides it is done for the season. Luckily we got some great fried green tomato recipes while we were dining our way through Savannah, Georgia. No, I have not given up on the sun, I am just trying to keep the glass half full thing going....

I decided I needed to get creative. I cut all the little tomatoes in half and put them seed side up on a cookie sheet.


Then I added diced onions, garlic, salt, pepper, fresh basil and topped the whole thing with olive oil:




I roasted everything in a 400 degree oven for about an hour. It is sweet and savory and delicious. We ate it warm on toast. Michael also put it on his bagel this morning. He said it might taste very good on a burger. I think he might be on to something.

No comments: