Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Buffalo Turkey Burger Recipe

During one of my many romps across the Internet universe in search of delicious food options, I came upon this great website that has some pretty decent and easy recipes specifically geared to be healthy for the Type 2 Diabetic: JoyBauer.com.

The first recipe I tried was actually the Almond Hot Cocoa recipe, which was rich and delicious and uses almond milk, vanilla, pinch of salt, dark chocolate chips and sugar (I used Stevia). It's a great go-to recipe when I feel like something hot, rich, chocolaty and sweet, but without the dairy and sugar.

The second recipe I tried was the Buffalo Chicken Burgers and everyone loved it. I have since tweaked the recipe a bit and added an avocado topping. We have had these burgers many times now. If you like buffalo wings, I think you will like these burgers. The link above is to the original recipe. Here is my version:

BUFFALO CHICKEN (OR TURKEY) BURGERS
Ingredients for Patties:
1 pound lean ground chicken or turkey
1 Tblsp. Olive Oil
1 small onion, very finely diced
1/4 cup celery, very finely diced
1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
10-12 drops Sriracha (we love Sriracha)
4-6 ounces crumbled Goat Cheese
(bleu cheese works too, we like the milder flavor of the goat cheese too)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper, to taste

Ingredients for Avocado Topping:
1 ripe avocado
2 Tablespoons Greek Yogurt
8-10 drops Sriracha
salt and pepper, to taste

Whole Grain Hamburger Buns, Lettuce, Tomato

Patty Preparation:
Since I do not like crunchy onions and celery in the my burger patties, I sautéed the vegetables in olive oil until soft before adding to the ground turkey. Combine meat, veggies, Frank's, Sriracha, cheese, cumin, chili powder, and salt & pepper. Form into patties and cook on hot skillet, grill pan, or outdoor grill, approximately 5 minutes per side (or until cooked through), depending on size of patties.

Avocado Topping:
Mix together the ripe avocado, yogurt, Srirachia, and Salt & Pepper until creamy.

Assemble the burgers, adding Frank's Red Hot Sauce as a topping at the end if you like.

Quick, easy & delicious!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds so yummy...minus the cheese for me.