Friday, April 22, 2011

White Bean & Winter Greens Soup

This is a really simple and hearty soup recipe. First, I took a whole bag of Great Northern White Beans, did a quick soak (instructions on the bag) and set aside. This takes a little over an hour. Or you could use about 4 cans white beans, drained (Great Northern or Cannellini or any other large white bean).


I started the soup with the leek from our farm share.
I chopped it up and tossed it in a stock pot.
(You could also use shallots or onions, about a cup. Carrots are also great in soups. I like to saute them too, with the onions.) I then added a couple cloves of garlic, chopped fine.


I sauteed the leeks and garlic on medium heat in about 2-3 Tablespoons Olive Oil.
Saute them well to bring out all the great flavor, at least 5 minutes.


I chopped up the Kale and Swiss Chard (at least 1-2 cups of each) then tossed them in on top of the leeks. You could use any greens you like. Spinach is good too.
I sauteed the greens with the leeks for about 2 minutes.
I then seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.


I added the white beans, 4 cups low sodium chicken stock and 4 cups water.

Bring the soup to a boil, turn down the heat, cover and let simmer for about an hour or more.
Finally, before serving, salt and pepper to taste.
You could also add a few dashes hot sauce for a great kick.

Each one cup serving includes approx. 9g of fiber, about a third of the recommended daily intake.






No comments: