Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Power of Music



Sitting here at my computer, working, I have my itunes cranked up and it is randomly selecting songs for my listening pleasure.

The power of music is incredible. A song can literally take my mind to another place and time or vividly bring to life feelings that I thought had no life left.

Every time The Beatles' "Revolution" plays it takes me back to my childhood. It was my first 45 single. I loved that little 45 with the green apple. On the A-side was "Hey Jude", but I fell in love with the B-side, "Revolution". "We all want to change the world" Right? "But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out." Yes, of course. "Revolution" and "Let It Be" are my all-time favorite Beatles songs.

Speaking of Beatles, Paul McCartney & Wings, "Band on the Run" transports me to our front yard on NE Royal Ct. in Laurelhurst where I would spend warm Sunday mornings on the grass listening to Casey Kasem's America's Top 40 on the transistor radio. "Well, the rain exploded with a mighty crash as we fell into the sun."

I cannot possibly hear Prince's "Little Red Corvette" without thinking of sitting on my bed studying at Manzanita dorm my Freshman year at ASU. The music video to "Little Red Corvette" used to play regularly on MTV and I watched it on the big screen at Dash Inn Cantina. Anyone that went to ASU in the 80's knows Dash Inn, a dive Mexican food place (sorta, but most people did not really go there to eat) in Tempe across from Arizona State. Sadly I think it was torn down, just like Michael's fraternity where I used to dance regularly to Prince.


This one may seem a little out of place, but the memories cannot be denied. I really like the Soundtrack to Disney's The Little Mermaid. I used to listen to the songs on the stereo when I was pregnant with Joey in 1991, especially "Part of Your World". When Joey was an infant, he had colic, but The Little Mermaid CD always calmed him down. I guess it is true what they say about babies being able to hear from inside the womb.

Queen and "We are the Champions" was a hit single when I was in High School. It used to remind me of High School, but now it reminds me of Sammy and the part of his Bar Mitzvah video where I highlight his years playing sports, especially his five years playing youth football. "I've had my share of sand kicked in my face - but I've come through." Sammy will always by my champion. I LOVE Queen!

And finally, there is R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts"... a song that always, without hesitation, for the past six years or so, has made me think of Michael's Brother, David. Today is the six month anniversary of the day David decided to end his life. It is still so incredibly painful for everyone that knew him.

"When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on
Don't let yourself go, 'cause everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes...


If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on... "

I cherish the power of music. Sometimes it makes me feel sad, sometimes happy, but mostly it just makes me feel.

1 comment:

Mr.Sensitive said...

Oh you are a fantastic writer!!! I hate it when you make me cry.