Thursday, November 19, 2009

Is it my imagination...

or is the commercial aspect of the Christmas Season starting ridiculously early this year?
Have I just not been paying attention the past few years...

Is it the economy?
If they run Christmas commercials non-stop from October 1st until December 24th, will sales really be that much more substantial?

Christmas Carolers were singing at Pioneer Square--on November 13th....
I realize Thanksgiving is not such a hot retail holiday, but wow, it deserves a little recognition.

I was at Fred Meyer last month and they already had Christmas Cards and Paper, Lights, etc... completely set up and ready to go. Seriously?

I'm all for shopping early, but part of the fun for me is actually being ahead of the game, ahead of the dozens of catalogs cramming our mailbox, ahead of the swarms of shoppers at the mall, ahead of the massive waiting lists at the video game store, frankly, ahead of the annoying "buy your Mother a cell phone for Christmas" ads on TV. I'm kind of sad because I have not purchased one present yet--and I guess I am way behind!

5 comments:

Sydney said...

It's definitely not your imagination, it used to be ushered in by Thanksgiving, more recently by Halloween, and even earlier this year. I wouldn't be surprised next year to start seeing Christmas stuff out by Easter!

Unknown said...

Well, now I know I am not imagining it! I don't like it. It weakens the "spirit" I think.

Anonymous said...

It used to seem magical that the day after Thanksgiving all the Christmas decorations were up and the season had started when just the day before there was nothing. And I don't even celebrate Christmas, but, I love the season. Our kids miss out on so much. There is no anticipation for anything anymore. How sad. Happy Thanksgiving. Love, Dana

toms said...

You would love the ad in Nordstrom's window- something like, "You will notice we have not 'decked our halls'and won't until November 27th." I love it. I agree that for Christmas to remain special, it needs to not be 3 months long.

Unknown said...

I knew there was a reason I LOVE NORDSTROM! Thanks for sharing Tom!