Sunday, September 6, 2009

18 Favorite Photos

So it was inevitable. Inevitable that two things would happen...
First, that I would start fretting already about Joey leaving in less than a year for college. That I will be obsessed with this for the next 11 months does, in fact, seem inevitable.

I knew it would happen. I tried to be brave, but it is going to be difficult. The college search, the essays, the tests, the interviews, the graduation... and then, the leaving part. So here, ever so self indulgently, is another opportunity for me to reminisce about the past 18 years. They have been great. They have been fun. They have been special. I know it's not the end... it's the beginning. We have spent the past 18 years raising an independent child. A child that will be ready to go out on his own and be a responsible, mature, contributing member of society. So why is it so difficult.

The other thing that was bound to happen... that I would do a post about Joey on Labor Day (or in this case the day before Labor Day since tomorrow I will be baking those yummy cakes). Any Mother who has a child born the first week of September is bound to experience said Child's birthday on Labor Day. How appropriate!

So here goes.... at approximately 3:00am on September 7th, 2009, Joey will officially turn 18 years old. No, I can't believe it either.

September 7, 1991
Joey was born on a Friday night... well, I guess technically early Saturday morning. After many long hours and much trauma to both Mother and Child (and mental trauma to Daddy and everyone else), Joseph Benjamin Lubitz joined the family.

December 1991
Joey loved his swing. Joey had colic and was super sensitive to loud noises. The swing and pacifier were really the only things that would calm him down. This all lasted a few months and then Joey turned into one of the most delightful little people to be around. So happy. So inquisitive.


The above picture is actually of Michael at age one. The picture below is Joey at age one. I just love these two pictures. The Father with blonde hair and blue eyes, the Son with brown hair and brown eyes, but gee, it seems the differences end there.

September 1992

August 1993
Above is one of my favorite pictures ever taken of Joey. I was 7 months pregnant with Sammy. Michael's parents had come to town for a visit. We took them to Seaside. It was a great day!

November 1993
The above picture was taken about a week and half after Sammy's birth. Since Sammy was a C-Section, there wasn't a lot of cuddle time for Joey and Mommy. This picture was taken while Sammy was napping. I think it speaks volumes about the exhaustion we were all experiencing. I can't believe Michael even had the energy to get the camera out and take the photo. A few years ago my Sister Tiffany was staying at our house while we were out of town. I came home and Tiff had dug this picture out of a box somewhere deep in the closet and she had framed it for me and placed it by my bed. I love her for that.
November 1994
Speaking of Aunt Tiffy, every year we would go to Disneyland. Her absolute favorite place to be. The first couple of years after Sammy was born, Sammy would stay home with Michael and Tiff and I would take Joey. When Sammy got old enough, we would take him along and we would spend hours playing on Tom Sawyer's Island. Tiff and I would hide and Joey and Sammy would have to come find us.

April 1995
Another of Joey's favorite activities was visiting Papa Skip & Grandma Karen's house up in Port Orchard, Washington and taking the ferry over to Seattle for clam chowder and fun times at the big bookstore. In the above photo Joey is on the ferry with Uncle Andy and Uncle Ben.

March 1997
Joey loved preschool at the MJCC. In this picture he is dressed like King Ahasuerus for the Purim Festival.

June 2002
Joey attended the Portland Public Schools Japanese Magnet Program from Kindergarten through 8th grade. In the above picture, Joey is on his 5th grade trip to Japan. He and his classmates are at a school in Kobe learning to make Okonomiyaki.

August 2003
We have so many fond memories of family vacations. Above Joey is relaxing on Hawk's Nest Beach on the US Virgin Island of St. John. If you have not been there, you should seriously think about going. St. John is an amazing little island with some of THE best beaches anywhere: Trunk Bay & Cinnamon Bay are awesome with rental facilities, snack bars, etc... but quiet little Hawk's Nest is our favorite.
September 2004
The above is my favorite picture from Joey's Bar Mitzvah. Just a genuinely happy smile.

March 2005
Joey has played tennis since he was 6 years old. In this photo he is practicing at the Portland Athletic Club. Our friend Elliot was kind enough to take this really great photo of Joey at age 13 1/2.

August 2005
In this picture we are at Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg Russia.
This may be the only time you see Joey in baggy jeans.

October 2006
In the above photo, Joey is at Sammy's Bar Mitzvah party surrounded by girls. Not an uncommon sight as he is often surrounded by girls and has been for as long as I can remember.
July 2007
And alas, the above photo commemorates the "I refuse to smile for your silly photos" years. I think we are starting to leave those years, thank goodness.

October 2007
Above, Joey in his element, entertaining friends at his art show a couple years ago.

May 2008
And a photo from Joey's high school years without a picture of Julia would be--well, just silly. This photo was taken at the Sasquatch Music Festival at the Gorge Amphitheater in Washington State.
August 2009
And here we are 18 years later already.
No matter how I look at it--the time flew by. There were days when I wish it would, but overall, I want those days back. I want time to stop while I close my eyes and remember every single minute.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soon new milestones for the boys, almost men, as well as new milestones for both of you...
How exciting!

Sarah said...

I loved this post. Joey is such an amazing kid...although not a kid anymore. You are a great mom and have raised a boy that I am sure will continue to make you proud his entire life. I can only imagine how tough it must be to be at this stage but to be here and have succeeded....I hope I can do the same.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind comments Sarah. One thing I have noticed is that I have now done two picture-ful posts about Joey and his birthday. We wouldn't want Sammy to feel left out... thank goodness this 2nd child is NOT short on photos--and his sweet 16 is next month! Do you call it sweet 16 for boys too?

Hope y'all like photos :).